Dear list, dear all,

Thank your very much for inviting me as a guest respondent to this month’s theme.

There is a lot that has already been said by other participants which appears absolutely pertinent to me. From the extracurricular educational settings in media culture (celebrity chefs) which, metonymically, mark the increasing proliferation of pedagogy beyond the traditional state apparatuses in charge of education (family, school, university) to the tricky issues of whether there is an inherent educational dimension in activist practices that has to be considered (agitation?) and the obedience/resilience vis-à-vis educational/media/curatorial formats and formatting.

I wonder if it would make any sense to propose a distinction between “education” and “the educational”, or between “pedagogy” and “the pedagogical” for that matter, following similar differentiations in current political theory and philosophy where one finds differentiations between, for instance, “politics” and “the political”. One question that would be entailed by such a distinction concerns the potentially emancipatory and/or empowering nature of the “educational” as well as other liberating, critical qualities and meanings that could be attached to a notion of the “educational” which emphasizes a structural constellation, may be even a political ontology of sorts. Wresting the educational from the constraining institutional realities of education may enable a thinking of the educational that transcends and transforms those very realities, instead of remaining fascinated and terrified by them.

I will attempt to elaborate on this idea at a later stage of this conversation.

For now I remain with best wishes,

Tom

tom holert
epistemology and methodology of art production
center for art/knowledge (cak)
phd in practice
@institute for art theory and cultural studies
]a[ academy of fine arts vienna