From:   Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
Date:   16/05/2010 02:43
Subject:        An Umbrella for RAINdrops
Sent by:        "Archivists, conservators and records managers."

As many of you have noticed I have started posting individual RAINdrops
rather than continue compiling a weekly digest of the news. I know that
many have complained to some listadmins at the volume.

first of all let me give some background. RAIN has been in continuous
production (with the occasional drought due to vacations and the World
Cup) since starting in August 1996. Over the past 14 years I have worked
to produce RAIN in the most efficient and least burdensome manner for me.
Currently I have over 50 Google news alerts running. On average I receive
about 30 alerts each day with each one containing 1 to 3 stories each.
Reviewing reach alert for appropriate stories takes on average 2-3 minutes
or about 60-90 minutes each. compiling RAIN required at a minimum 2 hours
or more each week. Thus RAIN is/was taking 10 or more hours a week.

My paying job has me on the road generally every other week and sometimes
back to back trips. thus causing RAIN to pile up.

Many ask why not use twitter or do a blog. I've started using twitter, but
the most efficient means for distributing RAIN is to the listservs.

Now some have complained that they didn't like getting so many RAINdrops
in a row, for that I have a solution. Every email client provides users
with the ability to create rules or filters for managing incoming emails.
I consistently use RAIN in the subject line. with that in mind you can
create a rule that will automatically grab RAINdrops before they hit your
inbox and place it in a specific folder or into the trashbin whichever you
prefer. I've do this for the numerous out of office messages that flood my
email address everytime I post. It is so efficient that I am amazed when
one Out of office message slips through.

Finally RAIN messages are read in over 50 countries around the world.
granted the majority of readers are in the US and the UK.

You can follow me via twitter (see my sig-block) and I am considering a
blog, but only if it the time commitment isn't burdensome.

any complaints, suggestions or whatever can be sent directly to me. No
need to complain to listadmins.. I don't bite ;-)

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va