-----Original Message-----
From: psci-com: on public engagement with science
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nancy Mendoza (SO)
Sent: mardi 6 avril 2010 09:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Video News Releases

Hi Mary,

We have done a bit of this sort of thing...

This may sound like a very obvious thing to say, but just as if you were
pitching something for TV, you do need to ask yourself 'is there something
interesting to watch here?' And if you're not sure, don't do it!

We've had some success with short packages of around 3 minutes, which we put
on our website and on YouTube and then news outlets have embedded the whole
package in their site (either from YouTube code or we provide the file). We
usually produce these ourselves using kit that is up to producing ok
broadcast quality but not HD. We've got our own kit but you can also hire
it.

In our experience this works for print outlets who are looking to enrich a
web version of a story e.g.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/feb/03/good-guys-draw-faster-gunfight
s and http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2008/10/10-01.html but it
doesn't work for BBC news website or for TV.

BBC and other TV news will still want to do their own filming. However, we
have occasionally provided b-roll footage for BBC news website and also BBC
and ITV local news. They then do their own interview with the scientist and
cut in our b-roll.

Of course the other reason to do VNR is if you have access to b-roll that a
news outlet cannot possibly get e.g. Footage from a microscope or a remote
field station...

Hope that helps - happy to chat off line.

Nancy

Nancy Mendoza
Senior Media Officer
BBSRC