From: Douglas Barbour <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: A Modest Proposal
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, April 23, 2010, 7:59 AM

Not sure about that, Dave, as all they might notice would still be those papers.

I do recall Robert Duncan taking 15 years off from book publication, while writing some of his major late work; now that was both possible, & a nervy attempt to avoid too quick public review while exploring the possibilities of his poetic.

Doug
On 23-Apr-10, at 2:42 AM, David Bircumshaw wrote:

>  as there would be no strictures against
> re-publication,  we would have ample opportunity to assemble retrospectives
> and collected works, reputations could be thoughtfully and fastidiously
> examined, perhaps people would begin to remember how to read, other than if
> scanning a newspaper, and most of all there would be restoration of poets to
> what should be their true proving ground: the blank solitude of the page.

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest books:
Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664
Wednesdays'
http://abovegroundpress.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-from-aboveground-press_10.html

                                    The secret

I was immediately set upon by two or three
critics, who hurled sophistries and
maledictions at me that were astonishing
in their dimness.

    Jorge Luis Borges