Chuck,
Thanks for the suggestions.

Early thoughts:
It's funny that you suggest "equilibrium" because it suggests non-physical
dimensions.  In engineering, which is where I earn my keep, "equilibrium" is
a special word that in fact is strongly tied to ONLY physical dimensions.
That's why I chose "balance."  [insert Fil slapping himself on the forehead]
I agree that situatedness (or what I normally call context) is essential.
Situatedness is also quite compatible with systems perspectives, of which I
am a big fan.

I'll read your paper.

Cheers.
Fil