________________________________

	From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval
religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Andrew Larsen
	Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:35 AM
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Re: [M-R] new priest in 1219

	medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion
and culture Well, if the letters of St Paul are to be believed, this
ritual emerged within the first generation of Christians and was the
major activity in worship.  So the congregation has always participated
in the ritual, although eventually it became standard practice with the
Western Church for the laity to receive only the bread.

	Andrew E. Larsen