I've been contacted by the parish church at Melverley in Shropshire. They have what appears to be an intriguing liturgical artefact, found in the half-timbered wall of the church during conservation. It's shaped like a small bread shovel, about a foot long, but with a cross in circle device at the end of the handle. They wonder whether it could have been used for distributing the holy loaf, but it looks a bit small for that. And probably too plain to be a pax.
I have photos which I can forward off list.

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray
Reader in History
School of Education/Ysgol Addysg
University of Wales, Newport/Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd
Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion,
Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3QT Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675

'We are not bound to win but we are bound to be true' (Barack Obama)