Thanks for starting off the discussion Jon, and to Beryl for inviting
us and hosting it.

I'm also looking forward to the reports from DOCAM later in the week,
and I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's "surgery stories" -
please send them regardless of what thread we're discussing; real-
world case studies are a great way to transform theory into practice.

Now to your provocative questions Jon.

New media art certainly seems a natural for commissions since there is
(or was) not such a large body of extant work to "shop" for. And new
media production is naturally technical, involved, and labor
intensive. Sometimes the curator or gallery/museum tech staff know as
much or more about different aspects of the technology as the artist
(not always, but sometimes). This means that close collaboration is
necessary, and it also results in the dynamic you mention, where the
collaborative boundary between curator and artist is blurred.

On the one hand, this appears to be a good thing; breaking down the
old curatorial model where the artist is asked politely to drop off
their work at the loading dock and disappear until opening night (to
paraphrase Robert Storr). If the curator is more involved in producing
the work, the artist is conversely more involved in the installation
and presentation of the work. But, as you also point out; there is a
power differential here whether or not there is money at stake; the
curator seems to have an unduly privileged position. This has made me
a little uncomfortable in the past, but I'm curious about the
experiences of others here. Is this simply the new mode or a troubling
by-product of commissioning new media art projects?

Now allow me to extend this question a little. I've also witnessed new
media art commissions in which the artist hires a programmer (or Flash
Developer, or other technical help) in part for labor (truly "work for
hire") and in part for expertise. The programmer sometimes makes
critical, fundamental, or creative decisions about the work that
affect its ultimate look or behavior - and yet their input is often
not credited in the work (at least not top billed as "artist"). I
fully realize that artists cannot and should not be expected to know
every technology or to produce every aspect of their work in order to
be legitimate (painters don't make their own paints any more) and this
makes new media inherently more collaborative. But does this create
another layer in the situation described above with the curator and
artist? Does it point out a flaw in current standards for documenting
artwork; standards that favor naming one or two artist-geniuses rather
than an entire crew? Film production (also technical and
collaborative) still favors the genius-leader model of the director,
but at least the documentation standards allow for an expanded
recognition of roles in production. Worse, does this dynamic help to
perpetuate the idea of the artist-celebrity who deals in the new art
world commodity - the concept - without dirtying their hands or
problematizing the field of production?

More soon!

Richard Rinehart
---------------
Digital Media Director & Adjunct Curator
Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive
bampfa.berkeley.edu
University of California, Berkeley
2625 Durant Ave.
Berkeley, CA, 94720-2250