Dear List,

Crowdsourcing preservation? - as Rick says, what a crazy, but
potentially fantastic and powerful idea.

In particular, I find the 'shared vocabulary' idea very productive-
something that CRUMB has striven to do in our MIT book in a prose kind
of way. I also often use Rhizome's Artbase keywords as a slide in
lectures, because they show the artists' self submitted keywords
('folksonomy') alongside a  set of keywords edited and selected by an
Artbase panel of people (taxonomy). It's very interesting to learn from
the difference between the two.

Something which came up at Caitlin Jones CRUMB workshop
http://www.crumbweb.org/getSeminarDetail.php?id=9
was the power of crownsourced _documentation_ too, where all kinds of
performance work were documented, in some cases, much better than
museum documentation. As Katy Lipps said at FACTs "Had to Be There"
symposium ... "it's messy, but it's self-documenting".

Any good examples of crowdsourced preservation or documentation?

Yours,

Beryl

On 28 Mar 2010, at 17:13, Jon Ippolito wrote:

> This last part of my talk from DOCAM tackles some of the issues of
> scalability and redundancy raised by Caitlin, Oliver, Roger, and
> others--jon.
>
> START OF PART 3
>
> Sharing within applications
>
> Besides access, what really turbocharges crowdsourcing is connection.
> The traditional way to think of connecting data from different sources
> is to put it all a giant union database, or if that's impractical, to
> enforce a common standard that everyone has to obey. These solutions
> have their uses--as mentioned, the Variable Media Questionnaire became
> more sociable as a Web service than as a standalone application. But
> they are also limiting when working with a community of heterogeneous
> practitioners and data. So we'll look at some options for stimulating
> sharing while respecting differences.
>
> It's possible to build the interface to a single dataset in a way that
> respects differences. Users of the latest Variable Media Questionnaire
> can compare opinions as they vary by work, by interviewee, and by
> date. One of the most illuminating features of such comparisons is the
> ability to highlight disagreements--a situation you aren't likely to
> see on the wall label for an artwork, but one I think is especially
> interesting from a historical perspective. When the Questionnaire
> reveals that the Eva Hesse estate and her close friend Sol LeWitt
> disagreed about whether her deteriorating sculptures should be
> emulated or left to die, that provokes a really interesting discussion
> about the aesthetics of postminimal art.
>
> Data silos
>
> Few database designers would deliberately build a bottleneck into
> their own system. Yet whether under pressure from copyright holders or
> simply by force of habit, almost all of them design their databases as
> segregated silos--which can amount to an entire  array of bottlenecks.
>
> Most museums and archives in the United States and Europe have
> developed in-house databases and/or Web sites, and a smaller but
> significant proportion have databases that can be searched via their
> Web sites. So a curator who wants to search for "television" can
> consult the comprehensive databases of the Langlois Foundation,
> MedienKunstNetz, or the Database of Virtual Art.
>
> What a researcher currently cannot do, however, is to search for the
> theme "television" across all, or even a handful, of such databases.
> For efficiency, such online databases are typically accessed via
> server-side scripts that take the form "index.php?theme=television," a
> formula that Google and Yahoo cannot spider. As a result, millions of
> dollars and countless hours of staff time and expertise are spent
> squirreling data away in private silos inaccessible to a broader
> public.
>
> We've run into a similar incommensurability in Forging the Future, an
> alliance of museums and cultural organizations currently working on
> [...]

Beryl Graham, Professor of New Media Art
Faculty of Arts, Design, and Media, University of Sunderland
Ashburne House, Ryhope Road
Sunderland
SR2 7EE
Tel: +44 191 515 2896    Fax: +44 191 515 2132
Email: [log in to unmask]

CRUMB web resource for new media art curators
http://www.crumbweb.org

CRUMB's new books:
Rethinking Curating: Art After New Media from MIT Press
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=12071
A Brief History of Curating New Media Art, and A Brief History of
Working with New Media Art from The Green Box
http://www.thegreenbox.net