Hi All,

Apologies for cross-posting.

If anyone is providing electronic note-taking for deaf and hard of hearing students, please can you advise me...

We have been using electronic note-taking (with Stereotype software) on a small scale over the last year or so. This uses a wireless connection between two laptops - the machine the note-taker uses to word process notes, and another, so the student can read these notes on screen 'live' during the lecture.

Where we have just provided the pair of laptops, and only used these for this purpose - few problems. They have been set up to create and connect reliably with a peer-to-peer network (fixed IP addresses, to automatically look for & connect to the note-taker's machine).  They have connected reliably, although sometimes later 'dropped' the peer-to-peer connection, but this can be easily and reliably re-established. The problem seems to be how to add in student's own machines (with their copy of the software through DSA), and how they can easily move between connecting this peer-to-peer network for the notes, and the University's regular wireless network (for internet, e-mail, using student IT applications, etc). Also, with our current set up, there may be difficulty in being able to use one of our machines as the note-taker machine (where the student has their own receiver licence & laptop) and, at other times, as a student/receiver machine (where the student does not have their own).

If you are using electronic note-taking (Stereotype or other product), I would like to hear from you (or from your IT support or note-takers), about the settings/configuration of your machines, and how reliable the connections are, and how easy to move between university/infrastructure network and peer-to-peer network. If you are using different products/set ups, including how your university-wide wireless network is set up - that would be interesting too.

If you have staff who would be happy to talk to me, please let me know. E-mail to: [log in to unmask]

Thanks,

Sheenagh

Sheenagh Hull
Disability Co-ordinator: Deaf & Hard of Hearing Students, Note-taking Scheme
Equality Service
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT

0113 343 3927 (Reception)
07781472713 (SMS mobile text messages only - include full name)
0113 343 2616 (minicom textphone calls only)
0113 343 3944 (fax)
www.equality.leeds.ac.uk