Absolutely, we should be taxing the robots with the only people still in (very highly) paid work being hairdressers because nobody wants a robot-cut

On 23 Feb 2010, at 15:20, Sallie Robins wrote:

On a lighter note when I was a school child there were a few reports re the increased amount of leisure time we would all have as working adults due to technology creating such time savings, and how we should prepare ourselves for this….hmmm….

Sallie Robins

SciDevNet – providing science and technology information that inspires informs and impacts on global development.  New partnership opportunities now available.   www.scidev.net

UKCSJ - UK Conference of Science Journalists, July 2010 - final date to be confirmed - an initiative of the Association of British Science Writers www.absw.org.uk

srPR
14 Shannon Court
Dynevor Road
London
N16 0DD
020 7249 4858
07733 330344

From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Reynolds
Sent: 23 February 2010 15:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Does PEST supplant or subsume PUS?

Re the ten jobs - well I doubt many of us would be able to stomach more than six months at a time at KFC, MacDonalds or Costas.

As for the extra 300k scientists and engineers - bit late now to start looking in the UK (or EU) - lets hope China and India can spare a few of their million+ combined annual crop of STEM graduates. Mind you we will need a more enlightened immigration policy which is a highly unlikely outcome.

I have recently been involved with the selection of a candidate for a long-standing fellowship for overseas postgraduate students wanting to study food science in the UK with a focus on candiates from developing countries. Immigration was never that easy but is now a nightmare - any slight typos on the forms and they are rejected and its start again time. The initial ssumption is clearly that any student from outside the EU trying to enter the UK is not bona fide.

Tim