Hi all,

I responded to Will via the comments section of the BBC blog
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/willgompertz/2010/02/40_wild_birds_play_a_gibson_le.html>,
but thought I'd just re-post it here for you too.

I think we should invite Will to a public debate about this issue.
I'm genuinely curious to hear how he came to this view.

I hope to see some of you at transmediale.10 in Berlin.
http://www.transmediale.de

Best,

Honor

________________

Will wrote:
"as far as I am aware, no contemporary artist has yet harnessed this
extraordinary technology to make a significant artwork."
"If you, like me, can't find any net-based art of note, why do you
think that is? Why, when there's been such a boom in contemporary art
around the world, has no artist made the medium of the web his or her
canvas?"

This is curious indeed coming from someone who so recently worked
closely with Tate's Digital Programmes department, who commissioned
the following net.art works:

http://www.tate.org.uk/intermediaart/entry15266.shtm
http://www.tate.org.uk/intermediaart/borderxing.shtm
http://www.tate.org.uk/intermediaart/entry15381.shtm

But perhaps the issue is not so much that Will is unaware of these
works, for that seems almost beyond comprehension, but perhaps he
feels that they lack any "significance"?   Perhaps Will agrees with
Ekow Eshun who stated when he closed the ICA's New Media Art
department last year that the form lacked "depth and cultural
urgency".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/theatreblog/2008/oct/23/ica-live-arts-closure

I'd be interested to know whether Will agrees with this blanket declaration.

Several people before me, including Sarah Cook, have cogently
responded to Will's comments, so I will keep this brief for now, but
I'm surprised that of the net specific artists that people have
mentioned no one has mentioned the work of JODI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodi_(art_collective + http://jodi.org

Alongside artists such as Heath Bunting, Olia Lialina, Rachel Baker,
Vuk Cosic, JODI helped to establish a visual and conceptual language
for net.art in the 1990s, which echoes the Dada-est strategies and
aesthetics, which Will commented on in his article.

Anyway, greetings from transmediale.10 in Berlin
<http://www.transmediale.de>, where we are trying, hopefully not in
vain, to gather together artists who are harnessing the extraordinary
technology of the internet to create what we would consider to be
artworks of significance and value.  A couple of examples below.

Best wishes,

Honor Harger
Guest Curator
transmediale.10

Bicycle Built For Two Thousand
Author: Aaron Koblin & Daniel Massey
2009
http://www.transmediale.de/en/bicycle-built-two-thousand

Buscando al Sr. Goodbar
Author: Michelle Teran
2009
http://www.transmediale.de/en/buscando-al-sr-goodbar

--
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

honor harger

present location: berlin .de

email: [log in to unmask]
phone: +49 1744500718