Apologies for cross-posting:

The Television
Series: Methodologies and New Directions.

A Franco-British
Workshop

Friday
9 – Saturday 10 April 2010

LCP,
JILC, Maison des Sciences de la Communication, PARIS

Both American
and British scholars have been writing about the television series for over
thirty years. It is only recently, however, that European scholars have come to
understand the value of ‘quality’ television fictions. In order to facilitate
discussion, develop methodologies, and further research questions, Barbara
Villez (LCP* and JILC*) and Hervé Glévarec (LCP), co-convenors, have organised
a workshop in association with Janet McCabe, Kim Akass (MMU* and CST*). The workshop will be held
in Paris on Friday 9 and Saturday 10 April 2010 (see schedule below).

To launch this
collaborative project, we are honoured to announce Professor Jane Feuer
(University of Pittsburgh, currently Fulbright scholar and author of Seeing Through the Eighties and MTM
Quality Television) as keynote speaker. Her paper is
entitled "Psycho-analysis
on/of US quality drama".

If you
intend to participate, can we request the following:

1
confirm
attendance (limited number of places)

2
send
a list of your publications, if possible, in the field of television studies.

3
send
a working bibliography of the principal references used in your work on
television. (We intend to compile a comprehensive bibliography available
online, to help young scholars enter the field with original studies.)

Confirm your
presence by contacting Corinne Navelant <[log in to unmask]>
before 2 April 2010.

Send your list of publications and the bibliographies  (as separate files) to the same address
by 7 April 2010.

.

Workshop
held at:

Maison des
Sciences de la Communication

20 rue Berbier
du Mets, 75013

(Métro
Gobelins, Bus 27, 47, 83)

Workshop
schedule:

Friday April
9-14:30–17:30

Jane Feuer –
Keynote Presentation, "Psycho-analysis
on/of US quality drama", and Discussion

Saturday April
10–10:00-13:00

Roundtable:
Historical Overview of Research on Series, Methodologies and Current Studies in
Europe

Lunch break: 13:00–14:30

14:30–17:30

Roundtable:
Directions and Future Projects; book launch of Television and the Legal
System, B.
Villez (Routledge, Dec. 2009)

*LCP- Laboratory
Communication and Politics (CNRS)

*JILC- Research
group Justices, Images, Languages, Cultures (University Paris 8)

*MMU-Manchester
Metropolitan University

*CST- British
journal Critical Studies in Television

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/