Dear Helen,

Taking a step back from the more technical posts for a moment on ‘Project Gargoyle’ – definitely more catchier than ‘Project Figurative Carvings’ or ‘Project Anthropophagous Carvings’ – have you seen the first part of the Presidential Address in the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society 58 (1936), 31-40? This deals with anthropophagous (man-eating) ones from pre-1974 Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire with a few more general comments on style, dates, comparative material and locations across the country and Europe than just a single church-based article. It doesn’t mention any Leicestershire examples but might be helpful to see; let me know if you want a copy of or a weblink to the article.

Regards,

Keith

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Helen Wells
Sent: 25 February 2010 12:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Query about big project archive

Hello,

We're currently starting a volunteer project to record figurative carvings in churches in Leicestershire ('Project Gargoyle' was catchier than 'Project Figurative Carvings'!).

http://www.leics.gov.uk/gargoyle

Although we're going to try and incorporate the archive into the HER, questions have been raised about whether we should also deposit the data (in the form of digital images and an accompanying spreadsheet) somewhere else.  The ADS and NMR were mentioned.  In the longer term the project may spread into neighouring counties - the guy doing it (Bob Trubshaw) is very keen.  If it does spread it would definitely be good to have the entire archive in one place as well as in separate county HERs (if other HERs want the stuff).  I wondered how people normally dealt with big projects like this...

Thanks,

Helen Wells
Assistant Planning Archaeologist/Historic Environment Record Officer
Leicestershire County Council
http://www.leics.gov.uk/historic_natural_environment_archaeology

Leicestershire County Council - rated a 'four-star' council by the Audit Commission - Council of the Year 2009

Important notice: Leicestershire County Council is changing its personal e-mail address format. Please ensure that any personal Leicestershire County Council e-mail addresses you hold are updated as soon as possible so that your e-mails continue to be delivered correctly. Group e-mail addresses such as [log in to unmask] are not changing.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any reading, printing, storage, disclosure, copying or any other action taken in respect of this e-mail is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by using the reply function and then permanently delete what you have received.

Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance with Leicestershire County Council's policy on the use of electronic communications. The contents of e-mails may have to be disclosed to a request under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

The views expressed by the author may not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Leicestershire County Council.

Attachments to e-mail messages may contain viruses that may damage your system. Whilst Leicestershire County Council has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept any liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of these factors. You are advised to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Think before you print - only print this email if absolutely necessary.

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the named addressee you must not disclose, copy or take any action in
reliance of this transmission and you should notify us as soon as possible.

This email and any attachments are believed to be free from viruses but it is your
responsibility to carry out all necessary virus checks and Gloucestershire County Council
accepts no liability in connection therewith.