Of course, 'urban' HLC (e.g. Black Country, South Yorkshire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester) records quite a lot of information about buildings. Sure, it's as HLC polygons, not monument records, but that means it can record many separate buildings (e.g. blocks of terraced housing) as a single record, not as huge numbers of individual monument records - which is perhaps better for some of the kinds of things we are talking about?

Key structures can still be recorded as monuments, with the HLC as backdrop/context (and as designations too, if they are listed).

Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Shaw
Sent: 04 February 2010 16:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Listed and Locally Listed Buildings

One of my recent additions was a 1970s folly in a back garden which was reported to a Conservation Officer:

'Folly in garden of x xxxxxx Road, xxxxxxxxxx.  Constructed c 1970 from a bay window salvaged from Tettenhall Wood House prior to its demolition.  The architect for the house was Thomas Rickman (1776-1841), a pioneer of the 19th century gothic revival who coined the terms Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular for the key phases of medieval gothic.  Rebuilt by local architect Keith Cattell at his home.'

Probably not worthy of local listing but nevertheless of interest and if it is not recorded on the HER likely to be lost.

Wouldn't it be nice if EH used some of its money for HER enhancement arising out of HPR for improving historic buildings data on HERs.

Mike