From: European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing - discussions [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Zulfiqar Ahmed Qureshi
Sent: Tuesday, 9 February 2010 11:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Writing conferences as a method of feedback on academic writing

Thx for this Fiona - great to here from Australia - I didn't realise that EATAW reached that far!

May I ask - what's the no. 1/2 journal out there for EFL/EAP research by the way?

Mr Zulfi Qureshi
Senior Lecturer in English Language
Course Leader for International Foundation Programme
Tel: +44 (0) 1772 89 3677
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

>>> Fiona Henderson <[log in to unmask]>07/02/10 2:59 AM >>>
Dear Zulfi,

I'll start this to see if it creates an Australian conversation for you.

I would say many of us here use spoken feedback as well as written commentary in one to one writing conferences.  For me, it would mostly be doing one or more of three things.  Often I will commence a f2f by asking the student to outline his/her overall document plan, often I will ask a student to explain orally a particular paragraph and the point that is being made (as I cannot understand the written version) and often as part of the paraphrasing process, I will ask them to orally give me the writer's idea.

Of course there is also spoken interaction as part of the process of clarifying any written commentary.

Regards,

Fiona

Fiona Henderson
Lecturer