Hi, Charlie,

I'm not sure the Times blog you linked is about anything but two people who'd love to do cultural chat shows lamenting the networks' unwillingness to underwrite that. Of course, there's tons of cultural chat if you include the commercial cultural industries, so they are really making a tacit distinction between Hollywood and the cultural subjects that interest them. Wrap that in Cavett's interest in English pronunciation, and it's an interesting little exchange about class.

But really, I'm writing because I would love to understand the specifics behind your questions. Could you tell me the names of some of these firms that squeeze their workers while maintaining thriving and beloved family cultures? You can't mean Wal-Mart, or there wouldn't be so many complaints and lawsuits pending, hm? And also, what are some of those billion-dollar organizations that "share the lucre equally"? You are alluding to things I wasn't aware of except as someone's imagined ideals, and I'd love to know about the actual existing exemplars.

all best,

Arlene

On Feb 27, 2010, at 3:38 AM, Charles Wankel wrote:

> A column in today’s New York Times sees the emphasis in media on politics as downplaying culture and sociology, which it considers more interesting and perhaps important.  See:
> http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/26/whats-happened-to-cultural-discourse/
> My own feeling is that culture and sociology are political, and indeed sort of agree with the columnist that (in my distortion of what he said) cultural politics and sociological politics are neglected while special interest politics is pumped. Should the business news investigate how firms that squeeze their workers financially seem to thrive with “family” cultures where everyone is purportedly equal and love each other and love the work and love the customers and love the suppliers.  Though, maybe organizations that share the lucre equally are unfair in doing so?  That is, perhaps the few people who developed the cool ideas that made the place a billion-dollar sales a year place have contributed more and deserve more.  I feel very naïve in mentioning this trite concern.
>
> Cybercollegially,
> Charlie
>
> Charles Wankel
> St. John's University, New York
> http://facpub.stjohns.edu/~wankelc
> Add me on LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/wankelc FB too!

		Life is a mistake that only art can correct.

							Stew, Passing Strange
Arlene Goldbard*www.arlenegoldbard.com*415-690-9992