Meg,
According to Laura Hibbard Loomis, “The Holy Relics of Charlemagne and
King Athelstan: The Lances of Longinus and St Mauricius,” /Speculum/,
XXV, no. 4 (Oct. 1950), 437-56, at p. 441: "most of the Passion relics,
the Cross, the Nails, the Thorns, had, according to medieval belief, the
curious faculty of multiplying themselves." There is also a reference to
J.A. MacCulloch, /Medieval Faith and Fable/ (London, 1932), p. 140:
“Paulinus (/Ep/. 31) says that part of the Cross at Jerusalem gave off
fragments without diminishing … The Nails of the Cross had the same
power of reproducing themselves.” Although I don't know which Paulinus
this may have been.
Cheers,
Jim

Cormack, Margaret Jean wrote:

> Hi Jim,
> Do you have a reference for this property of the true cross?
> Meg

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]