Dear Judith,
I agree with you that this practice seems "highly unlikely but
interesting", but the fact is that much medieval practice fits that
exact description. Such chemises were sent not just to French queens but
to noble women and even churches. One was presented, for example, in
1531 to Queen Eleanor of Austria (the earliest surviving reference, re.
a queen), but in 1540 the ambassador of Renee of Ferrara returned home
with no less than three. Earlier, however, the 1477 inventory of
Fontevrault lists four chemises from Chartres, presumably donated by the
noble ladies who became nuns there. The last recorded offering, in 1811,
was to the Empress Marie-Louise. The early modern antiquary, l'abbe
Brillon, wrote a detailed description of such a "chemise de Chartres",
accompanied by a sketch, which he found in the parish church at Bonce,
in the diocese of Chartres (both reproduced in Tresors de la Cathedrale
de Chartres, exh. cat. (Chartres, 2002), p. 52).
But it gets more unlikely but interesting than that. Knights were in the
habit of bringing their own tunics to Chartres and touching the
Sainte-Chasse with them. This, it was thought, would protect them in
battle. The 1389 Vieille Chronique describes this almost as a mass
movement. There are reports that King Richard the Lionheart wore such a
tunic during the Third Crusade (I have yet to see any firm documentation
on this), but there were quite a few English references to such tunics
by the 14th century. And one or two such tunics which were actually
believed to have saved their wearers in battle were eventually hung, as
votive offerings, in the crossing of the cathedral.
And to top it all off, thousands of "chemisettes" were also produced at
Chartres: small metal replicas of the Holy Tunic, which were sent in the
thousands to the Knights of Malta, bought by pilgrims, etc. I, in fact,
have a small silver chemisette with a ring mount, so that it can be worn
around one's neck, which opens up to reveal a collection of relics (I
haven't yet dared to remove the tiny labels to try to see if I can
identify the relics), and in the late 17th century, the canons of
Chartres sent quite a large chemisette reliquary to the Huron mission
just outside of Quebec City. The best collection of them, however, is in
the Musee des Beaux-Arts at Chartres.
Cheers,
Jim

to: [log in to unmask]