Chris:

It looks like water, I agree, but I think it must be oil (which is consistent with consecration, as annointing was often a necessary act in the process of consecrating people or objects)>

Stephen

--- On Sun, 1/3/10, Chris Laning <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Chris Laning <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [M-R] saints of the day 3. January
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, January 3, 2010, 5:32 PM

On Jan 3, 2010, at 1:45 PM, John Dillon wrote:

> G.'s consecration as depicted in an earlier fourteenth-century (1326-1350) collection of French-language saint's lives (Paris, BnF, ms. Français 185, fol. 191v):
> http://tinyurl.com/yc6847k

What in the world is the right-hand bishop doing in this illustration? He would appear to be dumping a pitcher of water over her head (if that's what it is) but if she is, as the caption says, being consecrated here, would she not have already have been baptized at some previous date?

O    Chris Laning <[log in to unmask]> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]