Many thanks for posting the exercises and toolkit.   I did a few
lines to test the program and was very pleased with how well it
works. I will recommend it to the students in my paleogrpahy course
next quarter.

It will have the great advantage that I shall not have to correct all
their exercises and they will have the practical experience of
transcribing gothic cursive effectively.

I hope others on the list also find the program so useful.

George Brown

On Jan 11, 2010, at 1:57 PM, Marjorie Burghart wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture (apologies for cross-posting)
>
> To help students and amateur palaeographers learning how to read
> the mediaeval handwriting in the Savoyard account rolls, the
> Castellanie.net project decided to propose some online palaeography
> interactive exercises. You can access them from the main site, or
> directly at this URL: http://paleographie.castellanie.net (4
> exercises available now, more to come soon)
> For the creation of these exercises, I wanted a workflow that would
> involve as few technical skills as possible (and possibly a total
> independence from web designers for the palaeographers creating
> exercises), while conforming to the main technical standards. So, I
> created a "palaeography exercise" kit (an XSL + CSS + javascript
> kit) to customize the excellent "Image Markup Tool", a free software.
> This kit is now available online (http://tapor.uvic.ca/~mholmes/
> image_markup/paleography.php), on the Image Markup Tool website,
> under "Paleography", with some instructions on how to install and
> use. Like IMT, this kit is free, and you can use it and adapt it to
> your needs.
> Best regards,
> --
> Marjorie BURGHART
> EHESS (pôle de Lyon) / UMR 5648
> Histoire et Archéologie des Mondes Chrétiens et Musulmans Médiévaux
> 18 quai Claude Bernard
> 69007 Lyon - FRANCE
>  To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR
> NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list,
> address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list,
> send the message: leave medieval-religion to:
> [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact
> the list's owners, write to: medieval-religion-
> [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site:

George Hardin Brown, Professor of English Emeritus
Department of English, 450 Serra Mall
Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-2087
Home: 451 Adobe Place, Palo Alto, CA 94306-4501
Phones: Mobile: 650-269-9898; Fax: 650-725-0755; Home: 650-852-1231

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]