Your rephrasing is much better! Though it brings up another  question, namely whether early
Christians who used crosses as amulets also had other kinds of amulets. . .
Meg

________________________________

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Dr Jim Bugslag
Sent: Sun 10.1.2010 20:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Resurrection Bodies/Cross

I suspect that this question should be rephrased: do we know when
Christians began to assimilate the practice of using amulets?  In the
late 2nd century, Clement, the Bishop of Alexandria, recommends devices
that Christians should carve on their rings, including doves, ships and
anchors - that's pretty amuletic.  Crosses scratched in cemeteries also
begin to appear in the 2nd century, I believe.  On a later phase of this
usage, see Henry Maguire, The Icons of their Bodies: Saints and their
Images in Byzantium (1996).
Cheers,
Jim

Marjorie Greene wrote:
> "Do we know when amulets (crosses or otherwise) are first used?"
>
> An interesting question and one I cannot answer. It would be
> interesting to find the earliest example of a cleric wearing a
> pectoral cross. I suspect, but have no evidence, that they started the
> practice, which then trickled down to the laity.
> I hope you get an authoritative response.
> MG
>
> Marjorie Greene
> http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/
>
> --- On *Mon, 1/11/10, Cormack, Margaret Jean /<[log in to unmask]>/* wrote:

> to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it
> to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the
> message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order
> to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
> [log in to unmask] For further information,
> visit our web site:

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]