From: Erik Drigsdahl <[log in to unmask]>

> Well George, being polite is not the same as keeping your mouth shot
when facing scholarly incompetence.

i entirely agree.

and would add, George, that these periodic spasms of Excessive ListMommieism,
which have always been Obnoxious and embarrassingly Grotesque, are in danger
of becoming Insufferably Tedious.

> You have saved the list once,

not to my knowledge.

>now please try to keep the level up, -  otherwise are there a few dozens of
us who will turn elsewhere, as we did ten years ago.

though i was on the list a decade ago, i have no memory of suchlike a
miraculous intervention.

what have you been smoking, Erik?

do you have any left to share?

From: George FERZOCO <[log in to unmask]>

> Dear medieval-religion colleagues,
>
>  From time to time, many of us believe -- indeed, we KNOW -- that we
> possess truth, and not just right opinion, about a scholarly matter.
>
> In such cases, I would ask all of us (me too) to take on, in this one
> instance, the character of the Italian government.
>
> Now that the laughter has at least partly subsided, the precise point
> I want to make is how, in my finite knowledge of the ministries or
> departments of western governments, all that we see in relation to
> justice are things called (in their respective languages) various
> ministries of justice.
>
> Except in Italy, where for many years the name of the ministry has
> not been simply the 'Ministry of Justice' but the 'Ministry of
> Justice and Mercy'.
>
> I know that we are trained to look for errors in what we read, but I
> would simply wish to recall to us the aim of tempering the justice of
> our corrections with the mercy we would hope for when others find our
> own mistakes. (And don't we all make mistakes, and many of them!)
>
> With best wishes -- that may be late but that are no less heartfelt
> -- for a Happy New Year ,
> George

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]