The only provision I have found in the Gregorian Decretals for
confirmation by the pope is in cases where a bishopric is immediately
subject to Rome [Extra 1.6.44).
The general provision for confirmation by the pope may be later.  Tghus
far I have not nailed down a reference.
Tom Izbicki

Christopher Crockett wrote:

> From: Peter McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
>

>>  From the late twelfth/early thirteenth century, all episcopal elections
>>
> needed to be confirmed by the Apostolic See....
>
> was this stricture in place before the reign of Innocent III?

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]