---- SHERRY L REAMES <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I do have a horse in this race, I guess, since I'm the person who apparently > motivated John Briggs's crusade against Pfaff's book by recommending it as an > authoritative source on English medieval liturgy.

Not at all - if you remember, I was agreeing with you at that stage, so actually reading the book came as both a shock and a surprise. (I had ordered my copy back in May, having been eagerly awaiting it for about two years. I had belatedly caught up with the information that Richard Pfaff had been working on it for about a decade.) Yes, my disappointment has obviously coloured my remarks. But if I am on a crusade, it is against the book, not the author. I don't necessarily buy the "the buck stops with the author" argument. An author can only write the book that he is capable of writing. It is a common complaint against reviewers that they measure the book against the one that they wish the author had written. Well, I suppose I must plead guilty to that, but the book that I wish the author had written would have had a title something like "A history of the liturgy in Medieval England."

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]