Hi Nigel,

I've had a look through some old papers and the only thing I could find was a brief mention of the procedure in 'Guidelines for Collecting Fossils on the Isle of Wight', that I wrote in the early 90s. Published by Isle of Wight Council.

Best wishes,

Jon

Nigel Larkin <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: The Geological Curator's Group mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

24/12/2009 00:09
Please respond to

cc
Subject
removing salt from seashore specimens

Does anyone know of specific guidelines to removing salt from coastal specimens
by flushing with freshwater? It is a common practice and something I have done
many times myself. But I don't think I have ever seen any guidelines in the
literature.

There is nothing about it in the various books I have to hand (Collins 'Care &
Conservation of Palaeontological Material' and Leiggi & Mays 'Vertebrate
Palaeontological Techniques' etc).

There may be something in Rixon but I don't have a copy as it is out of print
and hard to come by.

Any thoughts appreciated. Many thanks.

With best wishes, Nigel.

Nigel R. Larkin BA MSc

http://norfolk.academia.edu/NigelLarkin
http://www.natural-history-conservation.com

Research Associate (Geology),
Norfolk Museums and Archaeology Service,
Shirehall, Market Avenue, Norwich, Norfolk. NR1 3JQ.
http://www.museums.norfolk.gov.uk

Associate Member of the "Ancient Hominid Occupation of Britain Project"
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/ahob/

This mail sent through http://www.easynetdial.co.uk

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us, including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.