   Dear Ben

> Dear SPMers,
> I want to extract data which reflects the mean level of activity in
> a predefined
> ROI. The aim is to correlate the individual mean activity during an
> fMRI memory
> paradigm with other subject characteristics. I have computed the individual
> first level contrasts (active – rest / block design).
> My question: which images should be used for extracting the average activity
> in the ROIs? cons, betas or spmTmaps?

   this is reflected in your beta images (this is the 'activity' of
each regressor) - the con images are simply the linear combination of
the betas so if what you want is the 'activity' from a contrast you
can either read the con images or combine results from the betas :-)
.. as for how to extract data may I suggest EasyROI from my own
website ..

   Best

   Cyril
http://www.sbirc.ed.ac.uk/cyril

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.