Message from Wes Streeting: EMAIL your MP NOW as the top-up fee review begins

***PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON AS A MATTER OF URGENCY***

Dear All,

A petition in the House of Commons on the review of top-up fees, calling for student representation on the fees review and consideration of alternative funding systems to top-up fees has been signed by 134 MPs of all parties. Early Day Motion 1085 demonstrates the widespread political will to ensure students’ concerns are represented.

However, we need to continue to demonstrate that this is an important and persistent issue and that a lack of student representation in the review would severely undermine its legitimacy. The parliamentary session ends in ten days time, at which point the parliamentary petition will close. If you have not done so already, we need you to contact your MP urgently and get them to sign.

Please check to see if your home and university MP have signed this EDM as part of our final push on this activity. If they haven't, please get their email address here and contact them immediately to ask them to sign their name. A template letter is at the foot of this email for your convenience.

If you receive any feedback from your MP please share it with us at [log in to unmask]

Please forward this email as far and as widely as possible to your contacts. The student voice must now speak to those in power.

Best wishes,

Wes Streeting

NUS National President

Dear XXX MP

I am a student/president/officer at XXX students’ union/university/college and am writing as a matter of urgency to ask you to sign Early Day Motion 1085, which calls for democratic student representation in the imminent review of top-up fees.

This EDM has been signed by more than 130 of your parliamentary colleagues, but we need to do more right now to demonstrate the strength of political will for a review that involves those who will be most affected by its conclusions. The full text of EDM 1085 is at the foot of this email.

There are good reasons to believe there may be no student representation on the review group when it is announced. If students are expected to contribute significantly to the costs of higher education they must also be expected to contribute to its means, methods and motives. We have a direct and unique involvement with a review that will determine the future level of individual contributions to the cost of higher education, we must be involved.

The National Union of Students, as the democratic and national voice of students, must have a place on the review group to reflect this. The possibility that this process will be conducted without direct student representation would severely undermine its legitimacy.

The issue of higher education funding will be a doorstep issue during the coming general election campaign, for students and their families.

There are no easy answers to the future of higher education and student funding, but we are determined that the student voice will be heard in the ensuing debate.

Please do contact me if you would like to discuss this further.

We would greatly appreciate your support in this matter.

Yours sincerely,

XXX

EDM 1085

2009 REVIEW OF UNIVERSITY AND STUDENT FINANCE

13.03.2009

Farrelly, Paul

That this House believes that the forthcoming review of university and student finance must involve a broad debate about how higher education is and should be funded; notes that the National Union of Students, as the leading voice of students, must be fully involved in this review; further believes that it should encompass full consideration of both student support and tuition fees, should aim to ensure that students are supported according to their needs while they study, and that their contribution to the costs of higher education should reflect its true benefits after graduation; considers that the review must recognise that unmanageable levels of debt are bad for both the borrower and the lender, act as a barrier to wider participation in higher education and should be avoided wherever possible; and further believes that it must examine the proper balance of contributions between the state, individuals and employers to ensure that the future funding of higher education is fair for all.

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication represents the originator's personal views and opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of the National Union of Students UK/NUS-USI. If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify [log in to unmask]