Can anyone enlighten me as to the changing emphasis of the feast celebrated on 2 February (and I do not mean Groundhog Day)?

I ask because a young Australian priest who is studying here for his PhD in theology told me yesterday that he has been asked to talk at my son's school on 2 February.  My response was 'Oh yes, the Purification of Our Lady'.  He looked at me blankly so I said 'it is Candlemas isn't it?'  He agreed that it was because it was the feast of the Presentation of Our Lord.  Now, I knew that the Presentation and Purification are part of the same feast but he had never heard of the Purification as a descriptor for the date (although he knows his Luke well and will know the text).  Coming home,I checked an old family Roman Missal (St Joseph's edition, 1964), which headed 2 February 'The Feast of the Purification of the BVM (Candlemas Day)' and went on to say that on this day 'not only the Purification... but also the Presentation...' are celebrated.

My questions are:

1) Am I right in my perception that in the Medieval period (or at least 'my' period - Fifteenth-Century England), the feast was more often know as the Purification than the Presentation?

2) If (1) is true, when did this cease - after Vatican II or earlier - at the Reformation?

3)  I think that, for the medieval period at least, in emulation of the BVM (or maybe as a continuation of Jewish custom), women were 'churched' c. 6 weeks after giving birth.  How long did this custom continue?  And am I right in thinking there is a ceremony in the Prayer Book of the Church of England?  If so, is it ever still used?

Looking forward to your learned replies,
Rosemary Hayes

Dr RCE Hayes
Honorary Treasurer
Canterbury and York Society