Dear Jonathan,
There are lots of individual studies of thrones, such as Charlemagne's
in his Palace Chapel at Aachen, as well as on the Antique type of throne
known as a faldstool.  A couple of articles, one secular the other
ecclesiastical, that might be of help are
Francis Wormald, 'The Throne of Solomon and St Edward's Chair', in/ De
Artibus Opuscula XL: Essays in Honour of Erwin Panofsky/, ed. Millard
Meiss (New York: N.Y. U. Press, 1961), vol. 1, pp. 532-9; vol. 2, pp. 175-7
Matthew Reeve,  "A Seat of Authority: The Archbishop's Throne at
Canterbury Cathedral," /Gesta/, XLII/2 (2003), 131-42
Cheers,
Jim

Elukin, Jonathan wrote:

> Dear listmembers,
>
> I received generous and helpful advice last year in response to a query
> about oaths over relics and bibles. May I ask your help again on behalf of a
> student--a freshman taking on an independent research project solely out of
> interest and enthusiasm--who is writing a paper on medieval thrones? He has
> read Suger, some Kantorowitz, and assorted art history references, but I
> thought he might be able to tap in to the wider knowledge of the list. He is
> particularly interested in the comparison of secular and ecclesiastical
> thrones. I will be happy to receive any references off list
> ([log in to unmask]) but others may be interested as well.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jonathan Elukin

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]