medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture The linked article is an interesting spontaneous expression of the multivocality of symbols.  What first jumped out at me was the Vatican describing the crucifix as "a symbol of charity."  A little spin there?  It is a symbol of charity, but surely one would not expect that to be the Vatican's first description.  It's also described as a symbol of Italy's tradition, of division, of values and rights, of religion in general (contrasted to secular education), and of Christianity.  It's all those things at once.  The court must have felt it either needed to sort everything out, or to find the primal meaning.

Dale Hample

Marjorie Greene wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
Whenever I hear the words "just a symbol," I cringe. This news article is not medieval, literally, but it is about religion and may be of interest to some members of this list:
If the link doesn't work - and I will test it - I'll find another way to send it.