The feast of the Presentation of Mary in the Temple (in Greek, of her Entry in the Temple) is commonly held to derive from a commemoration of the dedication, in 543, is Justinian's New Church of the Theotokos in Jerusalem.  In the early (pre-Byzantine) liturgical calendar from Palestine preserved in a Georgian-language version in the tenth-century _Codex sinaiticus_ 34 that feast is entered under 20. November.  To correct what I had previsouly written, today's feast is said to be first recorded in late tenth- or very early eleventh-century witnesses of the originally tenth-century Synaxary of Constantinople (e.g. the so-called Menologion of Basil II).

Best again,
John Dillon

On Saturday, November 21, 2009, at 12:13 pm, John Wickstrom wrote:

> John  (or alii), does anyone know why Nov 21 is the day appointed for
> this feast? There often seems to be a biblically based calculation for
> such Marian feasts, but nothing occurs to me on this one.
> thanks
> jbw

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]