Yes, that is one of the reasons for the note indicating that we had no
control over what was actually available when you followed the link.

I am not really a perfectionist with these things and have no expectation
that SS will be able to keep 30,000 free links entirely accurate - since we
don't pay for the content - I try to have limited expectations.  I am more
concerned that they spend time working on the paid content links but all
said, I think they do a pretty good job on the free ones.  More times than
not - when I follow the links I get access.  When I report problems - they
follow up and remove links when the content has gone, add links when there
is new content, and change them when I suggest changes.  I cannot ask for
much better.

If I had to check each myself and either activate or deactivate the link -
it would never get done so I accept some levels of imperfection.   I do
however deactivate collections which prove to have too many problematic
links - e.g. at one time I tracked a collection called HAPI - Hispanic
American Periodical Index which had links to full text content some of which
were free.  However many were to subscription titles and there was no
differentiation at the time.  I finally had to remove the collection since
it was not predictable.  SS has subsequently discontinued tracking the
contents.

Mike

Mike Poulin
Digital Resources Librarian & Coordinator of Digital Initiatives
Colgate University Libraries
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346
315-228-7025