With apologies for cross posting:

I would be grateful if you could circulate this to all who might be interested in this opportunity for funded PhD studentships in HE.

At Birmingham City University we pride ourselves on high quality taught courses and seamless integration of research, innovation, knowledge exchange and regional engagement.

The 2008 Research Assessment Exercise judged 75% of our research internationally excellent and 17% of world-leading 4* quality. Our Institute of Art and Design is in the top 10 Departments in the country and our Conservatoire is the highest rated outside London. World-leading research was also found in Business, Criminology, Education, English, and Town & Country Planning.

We have shown we can do excellent quality research and we are planning to do much more of it. In the next three years we will double the number of research-active staff and research students and invest over £10M in Centres of Excellence.

We are recruiting full-time PhD students and funding more than 30 PhD studentships over the next three years to support the expansion of our research.  And you could be a part of this ...

WHAT YOU NEED: Candidates should hold a good UK honours degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline and be committed to studying for a Doctorate. Students with a UK Masters or equivalent can enter the PhD programme directly.

WHAT WE OFFER: Successful applicants for a Research Bursary will receive a tax-free living allowance of £13,290 per year (paid monthly) and a fee-waiver for full-time home student PhD enrolment fees (current value £3,390),for three years subject to satisfactory performance being maintained.

We are seeking suitably qualified and enthusiastic PhD candidates to pursue research within several Centres of Excellence, details can be found at our website: http://www.bcu.ac.uk/researchbursaries

Your attention is drawn to two Studentships offered within the Centre for Research in Education:

Studentship 1: PhD Sustainability in the Curriculum

This studentship will help to support our research into the most effective way to incorporate issues of sustainability into HE curricula. The research will involve identifying and analysing current good practice in HE in the UK and wider afield, and will support BCU in incorporating issues of sustainability into our provision.

Studentship 2: PhD Curriculum Design: The Student Voice

This studentship will contribute to the growing area of work concerning new approaches to curriculum design in HE with a particular focus on mechanisms for student engagement in this area.

Anyone interested in applying for these studentships, or the other 28 on offer at Birmingham City University should visit http://www.bcu.ac.uk/researchbursaries for further information and an application form.

Please note that the closing date is November 6.

Dr Celia Popovic

Head of Educational Staff Development

Centre for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching

Birmingham City University

Level 2, Edge Building

Campus North

Birmingham B42 2SU