This is really fascinating!  I can't tell if it is a compliment to Austen or a suggestion that her novels are anodyne.  My question is: do you think it is possible to find Brett-Smith's whole list of novels and poetry with their assigned places on the Fever-Chart? That would be well worth having!

As for the question at hand, I suspect that Kipling knew that Austen was a favorite among military men (as she was with officers in the American merchant marine according to a colleague of mine).

Miriam Bailin