good metaphor

-----Original Message-----
From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related
research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of ben
jonson
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 5:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: On design - again?

In attempting to bridge the troubled waters of design research, spanning
theory and practice, as witnessed in re debate, suggests to me solid
foundations on both riverbanks, so to speak.

Now, following the discussion, and allowing the metaphor, I get the
impression that there are contributors who are well prepared to engage in
such a bridging exercise having both a theoretical grounding and experience
of designing in the real world. There are others, however, who seem to wade
in trying to swim across with disregard for treacherous undercurrents. Panta
rhei?  Or, the case of a bridge too far?

BJ

PS For those who'd argue the merits of "to be thrown in at the deep end", I
would still recommend a life jacket.

With Windows Live, you can organise, edit, and share your photos.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665338/direct/01/