Dear Chuck,

You wrote:

I agree that language is taken up from the outside but disagree with  the notion that consciousness is not intrinsically individual.
Language is necessary precisely because consciousness is individual  and all  minds are the products of individual histories. If our
thoughts were transparent to others we would only need to negotiate  the differences through languaging. This is not to deny that the
neural patterns that manifest language can be recalled and interpreted  to the situation being  addressed.

I suggest that if our thoughts were transparent to us, as individuals, then our consciousness would be intrinsically individual. Our thoughts are not transparent to us except we treat ourselves as OTHER. That is, we have formed our concept of individuality based on a self-other awareness, not based on a self alone.

The absurdity pattern stuff is charming.

cheers

keith