thanks for that loverly quote from Moore, Jim.

i had no idea that suchlike detailed interpretations existed so early.
Moore's now on my Must Read list, for sure.

"...they be al sumwhat darke. Howbeit that was not donne through ignoraunce in
buildinge, but as they say, by the counsel of the priestes.  Bicause they
thought that over much light doth disperse mens cogitations, whereas in dimme
and doubtful lighte they be gathered together, and more earnestly fixed upon
religion and devotion."

what a perceptive observation that is.

it might even be True...

combining this with John's point about smallness and darkness, my feeling
--based on only an incomplete and spotty knowledge of the few early
(Merovingian, Carolingian, Early Capetian) buildings left in central and
northern France-- is that, while "smallness" may well have been a function of
economy and, perhaps, sociology, and "darkness" may well have been a function
of technology (or lack thereof), there is another consideration which, as
Moore points out, must be considered, esp. concerning the latter condition:

that the "darkness" was, at least to some degree, quite deliberate.

however, i disagree with Moore's implication that it was the "darkeness" (per
se) which was dispositive.

rather, what was actually intended by having few and small windows (again, i'm
thinking about pre-romanesque and romanesque buildings, whereas Moore probably
had in mind Gothic ones, their glass in his time significantly darkened by
centuries of acquired patina, inside and out) was the *control* of light and
its manipulation, the latter indeed for the priestesly purposes which Moore
suggests.

these pre-12th c. churches were, indeed, "darke" --compared to outside, during
daylight-- but they were certainly "lighted" (as our documents amply
demonstrate), and that lighting was *controlled*, both in its intensity and
its placement, as well as in its "quality" (i.e., the flickering flames of
candles or lamps).

recall that the interior surfaces of *all* churches of this period were
*covered* by paintings --mosaics or frescoes (frequently combined with
elements of "plastic" stucco relief-- and the peculiar "style" of those
paintings, with their more or less abstract shapes, vivid colors,
figure-ground "confusion" and, above all (when viewed in flickering
flamelight), their strikingly deep, highly contrasting shadows and shimmering
highlights, combined to create, i'm convinced, a sensorily-induced, quite
profound psychological effect, esp. when combined with
echoing/reverberating/resonating sounds (to say nothing of the psychic effects
of the liturgical/spiritual "content" of that music) and (not to forget)
literally clouds of quite pungent incense.

think: a 1969 Grateful Dead concert at the Philmore, complete with hypnotic,
reverberating music, flickering lights, clouds of "incense," all within a
"setting" which particularly lent itself to environmentally induced
psychotropism.

(and we needn't even speculate here about the enhancing effects of certain
pharmaceutical agents freely available in the Haight in '69; nor, for that
matter, of the effects of argot "poisoning" on the poor middelvils' darkened
Doors of Perception.)