On Saturday, October 3, 2009, at 5:58 pm, Marjorie Greene wrote:

> Ocvt 1, at least in Reims, is also the feast of Saint Remi. Pix of the
> former abbatiale and of Saint Bavo are on the medrelart site although
> they may be rather far down the line by now..
> MG
>
> Marjorie Greene
> http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/

In the universe of churches of the Roman obedience using the Roman Rite 1. October is R.'s feast day in the entire diocese of Reims-Ardennes and probably elsewhere as well, it being likely that when his feast on that day was removed from the general Roman Calendar in the latter's revision promulgated in 1969 it continued to be authorized for particular calendars (plural) and not just for that of this one diocese.  Certainly there are many Roman Catholic churches dedicated to R. (whether we call him Remigius, Remigio, Remi, Rémi, Rémy, or something else) and if they had been in the habit -- as most, at least, surely were --  of celebrating him on 1. October their bishop or, in the case of non-diocesan churches, their authorizing party not a bishop has probably permitted them to continue as before.

R. is also celebrated on his traditional day of 1. October in other churches, e.g. the Église orthodoxe de France.

The 1. October feast began as a commemoration of R.'s translation in 1099 from Reims' cathedral to the abbey church of Saint-Remi.  His feast day as noted in the martyrologies of the Carolingian period from that of Florus of Lyon onward, and as implied by Hincmar of Reims' statement of R.'s _dies natalis_, was 13. January.  It will surprise few regular readers of these "saints of the day" notices that the Roman Martyrology (RM) in its revision of 2001 (revised again in 2004), with its usual preference for the _dies natalis_ or the earliest known feast day, elected to commemorate R. not on 1. October but instead on 13. January.

As a matter of convenience, "saints of the day" ordinarily follows the calendrical order of the RM in its latest revision.  One could use the list's archives to find R.'s "saints of the day" notice of 13. January 2009 with links to numerous views of the basilique Saint-Remi at Reims as well as to views of seven originally medieval churches dedicated to R. in England, Germany, Switzerland, and Italy and to depictions of R. in medieval works of art.  But that could take a little time, so here's a direct link:
http://tinyurl.com/y8tlnm8
And here's a link to an even more extensive set of views and plans of said church:
http://tinyurl.com/ybgfc4l

As a similar time-saving courtesy, herewith direct links to Marjorie's photos on medrelart of the basilique Saint-Remi at Reims:
http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/430
and of the Sint-Baafskathedraal in Gent/Gand:
http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/1281
Thanks, Marjorie, for sharing these views.

I've not previously spent much effort in locating views of R.'s early sixteenth-century tomb (tombeau) in the choir of Reims' basilique Saint-Remi.  Here are five, the first showing colors to good effect, the next three showing peers temporal and spiritual with roles in a coronation of a king of France, and the fifth showing R.'s rather large, modern reliquary shrine (châsse) housed within:
http://tinyurl.com/yam56r9
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2837439297_7b861fb94a_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeannot56/3864905291/sizes/l/
http://www.pbase.com/alastairneil/image/32113618
http://www.pbase.com/alastairneil/image/32108403
The shrine is brought out on R.'s feast.  Here's an older side view of it, followed by views of it emerging and on display outside the tomb and a page on its enamels:
http://tinyurl.com/ye7dgn6
http://tinyurl.com/ybjau36
http://tinyurl.com/yehqqj9
http://tinyurl.com/yc78k8o