I work on miracle stories in Spain and offerings of candles and,
particularly, of wax are extremely common.  I should probably note that none
of the saints I have studied in depth were canonized in the Middle Ages
(though one was the Virgin).  The offerings in general were highly valued
and I have several regulations revolving around who gets to collect the
offerings left at altars and what they can do with them; this seems to be a
recurring problem in Vic, for example.

Additionally, I have wondered ­ and Vauchez and Thompson donšt really
address this ­ about the physical malleability of the wax.  As many of you
know, wax offerings (and other votive offerings) were often made of the
diseased/injured part either before it was healed (as in the problem was
portrayed in the wax) or afterwards (a perfect arm, for example).  I have
seen prayers and miracle descriptions which seem to suggest that people are
seeking, with the wax, to mirror what they want God and the saints to do ­
reshape their bodies.  I wonder if, as in miracles from the 11th and early
12th century (Compostela) what we have is related to the physical actions
taken by the saints to work miracles.  James of Compostela in one of his
miracles, for example, appears and physically sails a ship in a storm; the
account includes wonderfully vivid details.  Finucane in particular talks
about the importance of candles measured to the sick as an offering, but,
again, does not address malleability or even the physicality of wax.  Has
anyone seen anything similar or secondary work related to this topic?

Michelle Garceau