There are solid programs where one can start.  I would suggest the School of Theology at St. John's
University in Collegeville, MN.  The MA is highly respected and the student would have unparalleled
access to their huge microfilm library (in addition to many manuscripts and incunabula).  The
program is intense (I received my degree there) and provides an incredible base for understanding
medieval religion along with language training.  Did I mention the library :-).  There library
collection at Alcuin is amazing also.  I think half my ILL order come from there.    Many of my
colleagues at SJU  went on to do doctorate degrees at Yale, Notre Dame, U of Chicago, Toronto, and
major state schools.   St. Louis University is also a quality school.   If the issue is skills, than
Fordham and other smaller schools are much better than general MA programs in the humanities.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]