*** Apologies for cross-posting***

We are pleased to announce that we have Drew Whitworth presenting at the
next SUILCOP half-day conference on Wed 4th Nov 2009.

Next Workshop: 4 November 2009

Time: 1.30-4.30
Venue: Room LT114/116 Ashley Building, Leek Road Campus

The Leek Road campus is 5 minutes walk from Stoke-on-Trent railway
station. For information on finding the Ashley Building room, please see
the Stoke Campus Map
<http://www.staffs.ac.uk/assets/stoke_campus_map_tcm44-3815.pdf> .

This workshop will take the theme of Information Literacy Obesity.
Speakers are:

*	Andrew Whitworth, University of Manchester
*	Ben Scoble, Learning Development and Innovation, Staffordshire
University

Book a place: on-line booking form
<http://www.staffs.ac.uk/suilcop/bookingform/index.php>

Please note, you can pay by cheque on the day if you wish.

Just in case the embedded link doesn't work here is the URL:

 http://www.staffs.ac.uk/suilcop/bookingform/index.php

Andrew Whitworth

Presentation Title: Information Obesity and Information Literacy

Abstract

Physical obesity comes about not just because one has too much food
available, but for many other reasons including a reduction in that
food's quality, commercial pressures to consume, and a lack of awareness
of basic skills like cooking and keeping oneself fit. Obesity can, in
general, be described as a situation in which the food we consume is
having a negative rather than positive impact on our ongoing health.

Information obesity suggests similar processes are happening with our
consumption of information. It is not just "information overload" which
is the problem, but, as with food, a loss of quality, commercial
pressures, and a lack of basic skills. These skills can be termed
information literacy. Information obesity is, generally, a failure to
filter information adequately, and as a result, it becomes less able to
contribute to our ability to make new knowledge and care for the
informational resources which we and our communities need in order to
make themselves sustainable.

This talk explores these definitions, and then addresses the issue that
many of the common definitions of information literacy do not take
account of the fact that much information is filtered out before we get
the chance to go through the steps of IL - that is, selecting,
evaluating and so on. It will explore the two main ways in which this
happens: as a result of inbuilt "cognitive biases" in our mental
architecture; and how organisations affect the way we think.

A more critical approach to information literacy is then explored which
specifically links the academic world to the communities that surround
it, and suggests how we can all help transform and nurture the
informational resources of the environments in which we all have a
stake.

Andrew Whitworth is a lecturer in the School of Education, University of
Manchester, and author of the 2009 book from Chandos, Information
Obesity (see http://www.informationobesity.com
<http://www.informationobesity.com/> ). He is Programme Director of the
MA: Digital Technologies, Communication and Education, which helps
teachers, trainers and technologists in any educational setting enhance
their professional development skills in technology-rich environments
(http://www.MAdigitaltechnologies.com
<http://www.madigitaltechnologies.com/> ).

Ben Scoble

Presentation title: Exploring your learning ecology in the 21st Century

Abstract

This presentation and workshop investigates learning as a social
practice, with an examination of the methods we have available to us to
get information, learn and solve our problems.

An important aspect of this workshop is about how contemporary
technology is influencing this principle of 'Social Contructivism',
which emphasises how meanings and understandings grow from social
encounters.

Dr Geoff Walton, BA(Hons), MA, PGCHPE, PhD, MCLIP, FHEA
Subject Librarian & Research Informed Teaching Project Co-ordinator,
Thompson Library,
PO Box 664,
Staffordshire University,
College Road,
Stoke on Trent.
ST4 2XS
Tel: 01782 294448
Fax: 01782 295799

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Kindly notify the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your computer.