Hi Tom

I agree 100% with your proposal, and will try to answer your final question,
"whether sub-property relations is the way to do this (as opposed to, say, owl:equivalentProperty."

Actually, one can ask a similar question about VES subclassing skos:ConceptScheme
dcam:VocabularyEncodingScheme rdfs:subClassOf skos:ConceptScheme

One could imagine using owl:equivalentClass here instead of rdfs:subClassOf

Seems to me that there is more of a social / political aspect to this question than a technical one. Declaring equivalence, either for properties or classes, should in my opinion rely on a bilateral agreement. That is, the SKOS specification would also declare the equivalence, or subsumption from its side. Which is not likely to be the case. Therefore declaring DCAM classes and properties to subsume the SKOS ones seems the right path to follow. It acknowledges that SKOS definitions are at least as generic as the DCAM ones, and maybe more generic. Ontological commitment.

And if I read well between the lines, you expect that DCAM VES and memberOf would be kept in the abstract model just for retro-compatibility sake, but likely to drift into obsolescence at the profit of SKOS ConceptScheme and inScheme.

Bernard

2009/10/20 Thomas Baker <[log in to unmask]>
On Oct 15, 2009, at 1:25 AM, Thomas Baker wrote:
> >David Wood suggests two changes in how DCAM constructs are
> >represented in RDF [1]:
> >
> >1. Instead of using dcam:memberOf to relate a value to a
> >  DCAM Vocabulary Encoding Scheme [1, section 4.5], David
> >  suggests using skos:inScheme.

Points made about proposal #1 to date:

-- The range of skos:inScheme is skos:ConceptScheme [3].

-- The domain of skos:inScheme was left unspecified [2] in
  order to provide the flexibility to extend a concept scheme
  with classes of resource other than skos:Concept (i.e., the use
  of skos:inScheme does not imply that the subject is a concept).

-- That said, the SKOS Reference does indeed say [3]:

      "A SKOS concept scheme can be viewed as an aggregation of one
      or more SKOS concepts."

  implying that a SKOS concept scheme is intended to be
  understood as a set of SKOS concepts.  However, the wording
  "can be viewed" seems vague enough so as not to actually
  _contradict_ the notion of a skos:ConceptScheme as a set of
  things of any type (i.e., instances of classes other than
  skos:Concept).

-- Bernard elaborates on the consequences of entailments [5]:

  > #1 : Complete agreement, being aware of consequences.  If
  > the domain of skos:inScheme is open, its range is
  > skos:ConceptScheme, so using this property entails that any
  > dcam:VocabularyEncodingScheme used as the object of
  > skos:inScheme is a skos:ConceptScheme.  The following
  > logical step is to declare dcam:VocabularyEncodingScheme as
  > a subclass of skos:ConceptScheme.  And the next one is
  > asking what is specific to this subclass.  If there is no
  > specificity, dcam:VocabularyEncodingScheme could as well
  > (should?) be replaced in the abstract model by
  > skos:ConceptScheme.  Do you want to go this far in
  > entailments?

  In other words, replacing dcam:memberOf with skos:inScheme
  suggests that we also declare:

       dcam:VocabularyEncodingScheme rdfs:subClassOf skos:ConceptScheme

  and that we replace the notion of VES in DCAM with
  that of SKOS concept scheme.

-- dcam:memberOf could be declared a subproperty of skos:inScheme:

       dcam:memberOf rdfs:subClassOf skos:inScheme

My personal position, in light of the above:

-- That DCMI should declare both:

   dcam:VocabularyEncodingScheme rdfs:subClassOf skos:ConceptScheme

  and

   dcam:memberOf rdfs:subPropertyOf skos:inScheme

-- That the DCAM Description Set model [4] should be revised to
  use skos:ConceptScheme instead of (or rather in addition to)
  dcam:VocabularyEncodingScheme, underlining the equivalence of
  the two and emphasizing that a SKOS concept scheme is
  understood _not_ to be limited to SKOS concepts.

-- That DCAM should be revised to use skos:inScheme instead of
  dcam:memberOf -- _unless_ we do in fact see a significant difference
  between a SKOS concept scheme and a VES.

I would want to get some input on whether sub-property relations
is the way to do this (as opposed to, say, owl:equivalentProperty [6]).

Am I overlooking anything?

Tom

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-rdf/#sect-4
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#L2805