To be slightly contentious

Whilst I agreeing with Peter and have always considered invoices in the just destroy class.

I was mulling on a sleepless night [better than counting sheep] how much useful information has been pulled historically from old invoices and accounts and wonder if, in this electronic age, should things like invoices be moved to a random sample 5% destroy class?

Although I suppose I could now work on a list of pc puddings?

Regards

David

Flintshire County Council/Cyngor Sir y Fflint
Tel/Ffon 01352 702178

Peter Emmerson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: The UK Records Management mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

08/09/2009 12:27
Please respond to
Peter Emmerson <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: Guidance

Michelle

Liz is right, it's sometimes valuable to involve creators in the disposal
process but not for routine transactional records covered by an up-to-date
schedule.  There are two challenges, one of which - time to review - she has
highlighted.  The other is familiarity.  The person you ask to do the review
may be unfamiliar with the particular business to which the records refer
and err on the side of caution 'just in case'.

In the days when I was directly involved in these things, we used the device
of setting a deadline: 'Please review but if we haven't heard from you by
[date a month ahead] the records will be destroyed/transferred in line with
the agreed schedule'.  We enclosed the relevant extract from the schedule.
It worked pretty well by concentrating the reviewer's mind - silence was
taken as assent and doing nothing was not an option.

Peter Emmerson
Director
Emmerson Consulting Limited
Poplar House
5 School Street
Witton-Le-Wear
County Durham  DL14 0AS
Office          01388 488865
Mobile         07516 744795
Emmerson Consulting Limited is registered in England No. 3607347.
Registered Office: 140 Coniscliffe Road, Darlington, County Durham, DL3 7RT

Opinions advice, conclusions and other information in this

message that do not relate to the official business of

Flintshire County Council shall be understood as neither

given nor endorsed by it or on its behalf, and consequently

Flintshire County Council shall bear no responsibility

whatsoever in respect thereof.

Deellir na fydd unrhyw safbwyntiau, na chynghorion, na

chasgliadau nac unrhyw wybodaeth arall yn y neges hon,

nad ydynt yn berthnasol i waith swyddogol

Cyngor Sir y Fflint, yn cael eu cynnig na'u cadarnhau ganddo

nac ar ei ran, ac felly ni fydd Cyngor Sir y Fflint yn derbyn

unrhyw gyfrifoldeb am y rhannau hynny o'r neges.

For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]