(sent on behalf of Wes Streeting, Ben Whittaker and Susan Nash)

Hi all,

You may have seen that student housing has once again made the headlines with reports that the Government is moving ahead with plans to change the definition of houses of multiple occupation (HMO's) and impose quotas on student housing.

The Department of Communities and Local Government released this statement:

"Students bring benefits to the places they live in, but too many residing in one area can impact negatively on a community, running down neighbourhoods and leaving places as ghost towns in the summer. This is a real problem in many communities across England, which is why the communities secretary, John Denham, is committed to finding a long-term solution to current rental practices."

The threat to student housing is serious. We need your help to fight these proposals and show that students and students’ unions are a important part of the community.

Just some of the reasons we are against the proposals?

-      This legislation would result in higher costs as students are forced into all purpose accommodation or made to live further away from campus.

-      We need to tackle the root cause of this problem. Simply moving the problem to another area is not acceptable.

-      We feel that the issues faced in local communities are just that - local. National legislation is not the answer.

-      This is discriminatory. Authorities shouldn’t be able to prevent certain groups of people being able to live in areas they choose.

What we need you to do:

1)    Let us know how your local MP/council feel about this issue, are their any local issues that we should know about?

2)    We will shortly be providing additional resources, if there are particular resources you require please inform us.

3)    Tell us about the fantastic work your union is doing in the community by completing the below form:
http://resource.nusonline.co.uk/media/resource/Neighbourhood%20SU%20Case%20Studies.doc

4)    Step up voter registration in your union. You can find materials and briefings at:
http://www.officeronline.co.uk/society/articles/276551.aspx

We will be sending out a series on updates on the issue over the next few weeks. It is important that we act on this issue to ensure the student voice is not drowned out by our opponents. Please send any questions/ideas/concerns to [log in to unmask] or contact any of us directly.

In unity,

Wes Streeting, President

Ben Whittaker, Vice President (Welfare)

Susan Nash, Vice President (Society and Citizenship)

P.s, the following articles may be of interest to you.

1.    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/sep/11/student-enclaves-denham-hmo-nus

  1. http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/sep/13/antisocial-students-housing-blight

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication represents the originator's personal views and opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of the National Union of Students UK/NUS-USI. If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify [log in to unmask]