Earlier posts in this thread have agreed that

> in the academic community, we absolutely reject it [copying].

but also that in regulatory texts such as EULAs, it's beneficial to have a standard wording.

In a study I did some years ago of university plagiarism policies*, I found such striking similarities of wording over relatively long passages that I was forced to conclude that copying had occurred. Assuming that that was the correct interpretation (i.e., that the similarity was due to copying, not coincidence), is that something the academic community rejects as plagiarism? Or welcomes, to the extent it suggests that we're consistent across universities? Is there consensus in the academic community about this?

Diane

* Pecorari, D. (2001). Plagiarism and international students: how the English-speaking university responds, in D. Belcher and A. Hirvela (Eds.). Linking literacies: Perspectives on L2 reading-writing connections. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 229-245.

Diane Pecorari
Coordinator, English Studies
School of Education, Culture & Communication
Mälardalen University

Box 883
721 23 Västerås
SWEDEN