-----Original Message-----
From: Curating digital art - www.crumbweb.org
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Simon Biggs
Sent: 11 September 2009 16:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Another stab at thinking about the
question of time

Or a click?

Simon Biggs
Research Professor
edinburgh college of art
www.eca.ac.uk
www.eca.ac.uk/circle/

www.littlepig.org.uk
AIM/Skype: simonbiggsuk

From: Caroline Langill <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:35:42 -0400
To: <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
question of time

Simon, your comment brings to mind T.S. Eliot...what would it sound like
clear out digital works? Wouldn't we just press the delete button? "Not
with
a bang, but a whimper."

Caroline

> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Another stab at thinking about the
question
of time
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Books have been burned as a form of cultural clear-out. We could have
> bonfire of new media artworks. I can donate some ephemeral code to get
the
> pyre started. We could have a symbolic burn this November 5.
>
> Best
>
> Simon
>

> Simon Biggs
> Research Professor
> edinburgh college of art
> www.eca.ac.uk
> www.eca.ac.uk/circle/

> www.littlepig.org.uk
> AIM/Skype: simonbiggsuk
>

> From: "Gere, Charlie" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:57:23 +0100
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
> Conversation: Another stab at thinking about the question of time
> Subject: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Another stab at thinking about the
question of
> time
>
> Getting away from the phenomenology of the art experience to the
> ontology of the art object, I am interested in the disconnect between
> the ephemerality of much contemporary art and the continued mania for
> preservation that lies at the heart of the museological project and
> indeed in other parts of our culture.
>
> I think this is interesting in relation to the increasingly
unmanageable
> amounts of stuff we are confronted with, and the surely futile efforts
> to find ways of preserving it. It is interesting to go to conferences
> where digital conservation/preservation are earnestly debated without
> any discussion about whether it is either possible or even desirable
> preserve even a tiny percentage of the flood of digital material now
> being produced
>
> I would like to think of time-based art as referring to works that
> acknowledge finitude, entropy etc...
>

> Edinburgh College of Art (eca) is a charity registered in Scotland,
number
SC009201