There is always the creative commons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_commons aka copyleft worth looking into it.

The ADS use a licence to allow the redistribution of data when the depositor deposits

Gary

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Boldrini
Sent: 04 September 2009 13:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Scanning HER files

Hi Paul and others

on Copyright, I would be careful. As I understand it if you put stuff on the internet this counts as publishing in legal terms, and would need appropriate Copyright material.

That said, there are precedents for dealing with the issue as they have at ADS Grey Literature library, OASIS, I think Worcestershire HER have done work on this, and I know there is a pilot relating to the Heritage Gateway underway, so it should be possible to sort. I think the key issue is that you need to have the Copyright holders agreement, and a standard comment in a spec may not be sufficient.

The issue of Copyright for third party material I have no idea about, but assume the above people might?

best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

>>> Paul Driscoll <[log in to unmask]> 04/09/2009 12:01 >>>
We have scanned all our reports here at South Glos and are in the process of linking them directly into HBSMR through librarylink.  We did this in house as we have a dedicated scanning unit from which we borrowed equipment.  Our only other charges related to the scanning and orthorectifying of historic aerial photos and an unforeseen problem of extracting scanned documents from our document management system (the company who managed said system did not want to help with linking to HBSMR unless we paid a huge sum) and converting them to PDF (a task now thankfully complete).  We have not OCRd our documents but there is software that OCR post-scanning so it can be accomplished at a later date.  We have put everything into PDF on the advice of our IT team who suspect it to be the most future proof and the file type most people can open at the present time.

As for copyright this has been an issue but I suspect that most council’s place a requirement for commercial units to deposit a copy of reports into HER, to be publicly accessible.  I think there are problems using this commercially so I think if the information will be accessible online a disclaimer stating that this is for private/educational research is generally enough (don’t take that as legal advice though).

The only problem may be where units have used copyrighted material in their reports or have taken images not from public highways that incorporate people’s houses or car registration numbers or even people themselves.  Then I do not know who is responsible – the council for making them available or the unit for taking them in the first place?

Paul

Paul Driscoll
Historic Environment Record Assistant
Planning and Environment