> I suppose I also don't understand why people composing html messages
> would select a tiny font size, or is that a function of the Mail
> reader rather than the writer (which would seem to defeat the purpose
> of the writer formatting the message)?

Assuming your mail reader has correctly interpreted the message '<FONT
SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">' as '<FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">' (i.e. '=3D' is
the escaped '=' as Joachim pointed out earlier), the question is how is
your mail reader interpreting 'FONT SIZE=2'?  In mine it comes out as
about 9pt which is still quite readable (the default FONT SIZE=3
corresponds to 12pt).  This article which talks about font size in MacOS
may throw some light on this (scroll down the page, there are some
pictures of various font sizes):

http://style.cleverchimp.com/font_size_intervals/altintervals.html

Cheers

-- Ian

Disclaimer
This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information intended solely for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you are not the intended recipient you must not review, use, disclose, copy, distribute or take any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Astex Therapeutics Ltd by emailing [log in to unmask] and destroy all copies of the message and any attached documents.
Astex Therapeutics Ltd monitors, controls and protects all its messaging traffic in compliance with its corporate email policy. The Company accepts no liability or responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and attachments having left the Astex Therapeutics domain.  Unless expressly stated, opinions in this message are those of the individual sender and not of Astex Therapeutics Ltd. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of computer viruses. Astex Therapeutics Ltd accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment, and tampering, Astex Therapeutics Ltd only send and receive e-mails on the basis that the Company is not liable for any such alteration or any consequences thereof.
Astex Therapeutics Ltd., Registered in England at 436 Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge CB4 0QA under number 3751674