Hmm .... Terry may be statistically right that most people who call themselves designers are software technicians but i'm not sure he's endorsing the idea that this is a good thing. Of course the broader population of people who design towns the built environment even organizations might not think of themselvess as software dupes. Still there is a real synerhustic relationship netwwn modern design practice and the current technoscientific accoutrements at hand. Actor network theory would  even out tool and human agent on a level playing field
-----Original Message-----
From: Hodge Robin <[log in to unmask]>
To:  <[log in to unmask]>
To: Robin, Hodge <[log in to unmask]>

Sent: 15/08/2009 4:42:16 PM
Subject: Re: Art and Design Schools becoming scientific

Colleagues

Its very very rarely that I get angry over a comment made on PHD-Design but I'm sorry the following comment really does take the biscuit:

'I suggest that very little designing is done by individuals. That in
reality, most designing is computerised and automated and most design
practice skills are reduced to choosing between options in software
packages.'

No, no no, no, no. What you suggest is that the 'democracy' of computing has taken away the thought process i.e. the design process. The software package is only a tool, it is the slave to the master and merely performs a task as much as a pencil ever did. The design process will always be contoled outwith the package - unless we are talking of small backstreet printers - where even there I've seen evidence of strange things called 'layout pads' and 'pantone markers' - whatever do they use them for when InDesign is sitting on their desktops?

Robin

PR Hodge MA, BA (Hons), PG Dip (Media), FAETC, MIDI
Fellow of the Royal Society
Programme Director Master of Design and Communication